Monday 18 February 2008

Roses are red and what is blue?

I have always loved the rose "Apricot Nectar". It is blousy, with loose delicate petals and the colour is a faded rose, apricot, soul food!




Seduction is a lovely Rose. Flowers for ever and doesn't look to perfect, which I prefer anyway.

I have made cuttings, which take easely. Brava!



This is a Rose its not here nor there. I have never really taken to it.
I wouldn'd mind if it goes, but it battles on....ca y est!





Bridal Bouquet, I love their blousy, washed out colour after the rain.





The gondolas have a rest, the "blues" the weather was a bit "cranky" sun, wind and rain all in one day.





Gioia, does not absolutely well in my garden. From time to time this bush brings out a beautiful flower in the softest, palest pink with gold in the middle. After that beautiful display it always tries to die. I beg it not to, just one more flower....until now my persuasion has worked.






Oh...a blue stone....more






Perle Dior, does well in autumn and winter. It climbs slightly. The flowers look lovely old fashioned, like a Noisette Rose.





Ilona was a foundling, a leftover from the winter sale. It looked mildly abused and needed a good home. Ilona has said thank you many times over for its rescue, with her showy flowers.





Bog Salvia, the Bumblebees love it. Salvia Uliginosa likes a moist situation. This blue is its colour. It rivals the blue of the sky. It grows and spreads quickly and establishes itself between other plants. I let it roam.......for a while!




Perfumed Delight, luminous, it has to have its own place, as it cancels other colours. Together with green and white it is fine.






Stein am Rhein Switzerland, a good place to have a meal!





Chance grows very tall and vigorous even in our hot climat. I have made cuttings. One is now a fairly big bush and has flowered well. I never spray Roses. They have to battle it out themselves.
One Year all the rosebuds were eaten away, no flowers, but lots of butterflies!





Carousel, " the little, old faithful" does also well. I had this plant for ages. I bought it with dozens of other miniature roses. They have all disappeared, disintegrated, gone from my garden.Sometimes I buy again one of the newer ones on the market. They usually disappear too after one blooming season, if I am lucky two!





I love Agapanthus. I have propagatet lots from seed. I must confess most of the propagating they did by themselves into pots and where ever when they are ready to drop their seed. I always find a place. What a show in early summer!






Bridal Bouquet is a real darling rose, does extremly well. Fills my vases and has a nice scent too.
It does propagate very well from cuttings which I make in winter.





Rose Petal Jam
Chef: Lyn Battle
This is a recipe from the Middle East, but could just as easily have come from an old fashioned English-or Australian-garden. A small jar of jam made from the roses in your garden makes a wonderful unique gift. Dark Red Roses will give the best colour and flavour. It doesn't matter whether you use buds or full blown blooms.
Serves 2 1/2 cups
Degree of difficulty: Low
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30-35 minutes

You need:125 grams (4 oz) red rose petals (about 15 large roses)1/2 cup lemon juice1 1/2 cups water2 cups sugarCommercial pectin (available from health food stores)

Method:Pull petals from roses and cut away any tough parts at the base of the petals. Place them in a strainer and rinse well under cold running water. Drain well.In a large saucepan, put petals, lemon juice, water and sugar. (Mixture should not be over 5cm deep-if it is, use a wider based saucepan).Stir over heat without boiling until sugar is dissolved, then bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer gently, covered for 30 minutes.Blend the commercial pectin with a little of the liquid from the pan, add this mixture to the pan and stir without boiling til dissolved.Bring to the boil, reduce heat, simmer for a minute.Pour into hot, sterilised jars, seal when cold. Store in a cool, dark place.
Leftover Potential: Store in a cool, dark place.




Music to listen: Schubert Symphony Nr. 2, Mozart Piano Concerto Nr. 21






































































































































No comments: