Thursday 30 July 2009

Azalea indica X " Dream Time";

Azalea is derived from the Greek word azaleos which means "dry".



Silvery pink Azalea Dream Time is a great shrub to grow in the garden. It flowers profusely twice a year. It is quite drought tolerant once established. It is very easy to propagate from cuttings in the hot season or layering anytime. It strikes well from cuttings and is quite a fast growing shrub. It can be pruned into shapes. I grow a few bushes which I have propagated from cuttings. It also tolerates sun so the flowers are more intensively silvery pink when growing in half shade.







Azaleas by the nature of their delicate form and fragile beauty could lead the lay person to believe that they are difficult to grow and hard to look after. With few exceptions, this is not so. Azaleas are hardy plants, they are easy to grow, and relatively trouble free. With little care they will give the gardener many years of pleasure and a spectacular floral display. Actually, Azaleas are a series of the Rhododendron family or genus. Azaleas and Rhododendrons were originally classified as separate genera by Linnaeus in 1753 but were both classified under Rhododendron in 1834. Most Azalea botanical classifications now carry the Rhododendron prefix; for example, the popular Azalea Indica group of hybrids is botanically known as Rhododendron simsii. A close comparison of the flowers and foliage of Rhododendrons and Azaleas will show many similarities. Both prefer much the same culture. But gardeners now prefer to treat Rhododendrons and Azaleas as two different species. So, if you see reference on an Azalea label to the word Rhododendron - don't be dismayed. It will be the correct botanical identification, since discarded by all but the most erudite and professional horticulturists! There are two main types of Azaleas: evergreen and deciduous.
In Australia, the evergreen type is the one most cultivated because of its attractive green when not in flower and its ability to withstand drier and warmer conditions. However there are many hybrid groups of deciduous Azaleas. This type is best suited to the cooler moist areas of the Blue Mountains, the Southern Highlands and Canberra. They flower later than the evergreens and the flowers form in trusses. Culture and care is the same as for the evergreen types. A few hybrid Azaleas are notably fragrant.
Exerpts from Davidsons Nurseries

Plant enthusiasts have created azaleas for hundreds of years. This human genetic modification has produced over 10,000 different cultivars which are propagated by cuttings. Azalea seeds can also be collected and germinated.
Azaleas grow best in well-drained soil or in plant pots in a cool, shady position. They are easily damaged by excessive soil moisture and grow best in acidic soil (4.5 - 6.0 pH).[2] Fertilizer is optional, although some species do need regular pruning.
Exerpts from wikipedia


Believe it or not: Make new friends, but keep the old; one is silver the other's gold! Proverb

20 comments:

Pietro Brosio said...

Very lovely pictures of azaleas with a good explanation, Titania.
I've enjoyed so much these sequence of images and like the proverb as well.

Stephanie said...

Hello! I usually see pink ones here. I have not seen azalea in pink before :-) TQ for posting these pictures! Btw, I am a Blotanacal member also. Happy Gardening and blogging!

NatureStop said...

Very informative post.What a beauty the azaleas are and great images too.

Shantana

Laura in Paris said...

Thank you for all the information. I have two azaleas in my deck and I now know I should not water them too often (which I do sometimes for fear that they do not get enough ... ) I am going right now to empty the dishes of excessive watering!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

That is a beautiful azalea !
I missed out on buying a wonderful one called "Orchid Lights" .. I'm still kicking myself about that one .. thank you for all this great information girl !
I have a Northern Lights version .. specifically , I think it is Manderin ? Lights .. I moved it to a better location and I hope for more blooms next Spring : )

diane b said...

Lovely soft pink. They look so healthy compared to mine. They have lace wing bug. I have just sprayed them so I hope they will flower nicely. Some have started but others are in bud.

sweetbay said...

Such lovely silvery pink flowers!

Where I live I've had to buy some North American natives that like a lot of moisture. Still, they are picky about drainage! -- when growing seedlings I have to add peat moss or they won't make it.

It's lovely to see an azalea in bloom this time of year. My Encore azaleas will probably start up again in Sept.

Prospero said...

Hello, Titania. Is Dream Time evergreen or deciduous? Your photos are gorgeous, by the way. For me, the evergreen type would be better (hot and humid). The reason I don't have any (but always willing to reconsider) is that the soil in Bermuda is very alkaline. If fact, it's all limestone. As you say, Azaleas prefer acid soil. Given your pictures, I'll give it a second thought.

Prospero said...

Thanks for the Rhododendron advise, Titania. I appreciate it.

I've done similar things (i.e. dig a whole and fill it with peat moss for my acid-loving carnivorous plants). It works, but only if the plant has a small root system. I was pleased to hear, then, that some Rhododendrons would fall into that category.

Janie said...

I didn't know Azalea means "dry". I used to live in the warm, humid southern US, where just about everyone grew azaleas successfully. Your photos are lovely.

Alice said...

Such a pretty pale pink. Very good value plant....little trouble and profuse flowers.

Unknown said...

Trudi, loved reading all that interesting information. That pink is so pretty. I've got two plants in pots and my pink one has given me many blooms. For its care, I'll have to come back here. I'm more of a haphazard gardener:) But...willing to learn. Thanks for all that info. And the lovely photos as well.

MedaM said...

I enjoyed this informative post and beautiful photos of really lovely pink flowers of Azalea.

diane b said...

Happy Swiss Day. If you have time read my post here:

Swiss National Day

Sunita Mohan said...

photos, Trudi. If you grow them, I'm sure they'll grow here too. Or rather they should. I dont think I've seen them here though. How sad!

Sunita Mohan said...

Ooops! I think the cyber-goblin ate up the first bit of my comment. I meant to say "Lovely photos, Trudi"

patrickgracewood said...

Hello Tatania,
I love that you have the familiar (to me) as well as the exotic in your garden. Wanted to invite you visit my garden at shadows on stone to see the lily forest. 8 foot tall orient/pet hybrid Conca d'or. They're amazing. xpatrick

HappyMouffetard said...

What a pretty azalea.

DeniseinVA said...

How beautiful and I am always thankful for the information that you give with your posts. Always learning here and grateful for it :)

vuejardin said...

Very beautiful pink Azaleas, deers love them so much, I hide my new red Azaleas close to the window, and still manage to find it and eat some of the new leaves.